OFFERED EYE CONTACT EXERCISE
This exercise is a great way to start attention and assess your dog’s comfort level in a new place. If the dog is having trouble focusing on you within 2-3 minutes, the location that you are in is too distracting for the dog at this time. Gradually up the level of distraction until your dog can focus on you anywhere with ease.
- Grab 5-7 small treats and walk to a new spot in your training area
- Stand still and wait for your dog to make direct eye contact with you
- Mark and feed the behavior
- Repeat until you have gone through all of the treats in your hand
- Move to a new location and repeat
Previous TopicNext Topic