WHY USE POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT?
There are a number of reasons why I focus on positive reinforcement when training animals.
- Effective – it is very reliable in teaching animals what you want them to do.
- Animal friendly – when correctly applied it causes no pain, fear or undue stress on the animal.
- Scientific – it is backed by science.
- Positive associations – however the animal learns a behavior stays with that behavior forever. Using positive reinforcement properly will create a good association to the animal for that behavior.
- Fallout – it does not create the same behavioral fallout that compulsion and punishment-based methods can cause.
- LIMA – many professional animal trainers adhere to this standard which means Least Intrusive Minimally Aversive.